Saturday 22 October 2011

The tip of an iceburg

My camera batteries ran out halfway through my network tracing trip today - in the middle of Penrose industrial area.  At least it didn't run out just when I got to the Hunuas!  That part of the trip is now postponed till later in the week.

Looking for water infrastructure in the fabric of the Penrose neighborhood was like looking for what is invisible in day to day life.  I became attuned to meter boxes, gas connections, electricity substations, a myriad of manhole covers, fire hydrants, broadband control boxes - a nexus of utilities.  Helpfully, water nodes seems to either have a Watercare label or are blue.  

The majority of water infrastructure is underground so my photos so far have been like showing the tip of an iceburg - some box, manhole cover or structure indicating a link to an underground maze.

And even going on half the route gave me an impression of how far water has to come every time I turn on my tap.  I'm looking forward to finishing the trip later in the week, particularly as I've never been to the Hunua Ranges.  

No comments:

Post a Comment