Friday 21 October 2011

Map analysis

Discussing my project at the last class session was useful – I’m now going to use the Highline map as the base for my project - see 15 September blog for map (the Tube map isn’t suitable as it lacks correct geographical scale – necessary to show the length of the water journey).

So looking closely at the Highline map, these are ways I'm thinking of adapting it for my project:

Path detail of the Highline – each section has basic illustration *** different pipe width – e.g. Hunua 1 & 3 watermain carrying most of the 57% of Auckland’s water supply that comes from the Hunua Ranges v the Pt Chev watermain supplying part of that water to Pt Chevalier.

Street names / buildings which enable people to locate and access the Highline *** not practical to have street level of detail - instead I can use suburbs which show the city-scale of my map.

Labels e.g. such as stairs for accessing the walkway *** label infrastructure with a specific function e.g. AWMA070 Bulk Supply Point or No. 15 Control Valve.

Renderings are used to show sections of the pathway – different scales but most show people which of course is the point of the walkway – for people to enjoy *** my photographs will be at different scales as well – ranging from taps, to water meters to treatment plants – making the invisible visible. 

Other features:
Different sized text - can’t make out why except it adds to the aesthetic.

Background of map is outline of streets and plots – Highline coloured to make it visible. 

Have a couple of ideas of things I want to do differently – one is to show the role gravity plays in the system by labeling each infrastructure node’s height above sea level.

Collecting images


Earlier this week I took photographs of infrastructure near my house – interesting seeing spaces I see all the time in a very different context.  
Tomorrow I’m going to venture further afield – all the way to the source – the Hunuas.

No comments:

Post a Comment