Friday 28 October 2011

Juxtaposition of fact and fiction

My map is almost finished.  I think the concept has come across quite well - using notation to represent the clinical facts of water infrastructure - distance, height, scale - differently, in a fictional and imaginative way.  

People looking at the map will see the water system but the main objective is for them to be able to engage in the map in a way they perhaps wouldn't if it was a typical engineering infrastructure map, with standard symbols (squares, triangles etc).   

Necessarily the map is a simplistic version of a very complex system.  This map was sent to me by Watercare.  It shows what my initial idea of a network based on the London Tube map might have looked like: portraying the system and connections without reference to correct scale.  
Source: Watercare.
Obviously this is very complex; my map will show just the main route between my house and water source, focusing on the length and notation of the water nodes to show the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment