Thursday 15 September 2011

Methodology


So here's my kitchen tap.  My mapping is going to trace the route that water takes to reach my kitchen.  I'm expecting to encounter pumping stations, reservoirs, a treatment plant and finally following the raw water to its source - most likely a dam in the Hunuas, but possibly the Waitakeres, the Waikato River or groundwater - or perhaps a mixture.  That's the question.
I'm also keen to learn about the elevation of the different nodes, and the role gravity plays in the system - flowing from high in the Waitakeres, to a volcanic cone in the city, to my house - perhaps?


Source: Author's own.

My research will focus on the systems (part of the 900km of pipes and various infrastructure) around and through the city.  So first research stop will be Watercare, Auckland Council council-controlled organisation in charge of water and its infrastructure in Auckland in the hope they can give me a detailed plan of freshwater systems in the city-western suburbs.  Then hopefully I will be able to trace back from there.
Presentation - I'm thinking two maps - one Auckland-wide water infrastructure systems map based on the London Underground map.  The second is the specific tracing water from my house to its source. 

I like this map of the Highline in New York (referred to in an earlier blog), particularly the photographic inserts which connect the points with place and add context and depth to the map.  Water infrastructure in the city tends to be invisible or not prominent - photographs of reservoirs or a pumping station will increase awareness of the necessity of this infrastructure.
 Firstly however will be my research - starting with Watercare.








Source: http://www.thehighline.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment