Saturday 5 November 2011

The final post

We had our exhibition on Tuesday night - what I found fascinating about the evening was the varied approaches the different disciplines took to portraying their water stories - there was a marked difference between planning, architecture and dance.  It got me thinking about how the community accesses information.  If the idea of our projects was to tell water stories, which may raise awareness of this finite and essential resource, then it's fantastic to be able to do it in different ways which gives people options of engaging in the way that they find most accessible and meaningful.

For me personally it’s been an interesting journey, all starting with a fascination with water reservoirs on Mt Eden.  While (unfortunately!) I discovered my drinking water system doesn't go via any volcanic cones, the project has given me an appreciation of the huge amount of infrastructure and systems needed for me to have fresh drinkable water in my home.  I also found it very useful using an existing map for inspiration (in this case the map of New York's Highline) in formulating my map, and also how to use notation to portray information in a new and imaginative way.

A highlight for me in this class was hearing Rata talk about the involvement of the community in Project Twin Streams.  Having so many different sectors of the community involved in different ways is wonderful and the potential positive spin-offs for the community immeasurable.

It’s that kind of micro-level engagement that I hope that Water in the Sustainable City, the wider project that this project is a tiny part of, will help in building people’s awareness of the intrinsic value of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment